Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The American discovers Greek junk food.

I must devote an entire post to the delectable junk foods produced in Greece. During my times in Austria, I discovered a broad range of delectable treats, however, the Greeks (specifically, my Greek) have introduced me to some amazing new junk I didn't know existed. Here is my top ten list of Greek/European junk:

10. Kinder Bueno

Kinder has a line of delicious chocolate treats, which I am now learning you can find in the States, if you look hard enough. Kinder Bueno is my absolute favorite: Crunchy chocolatey goodness with a creamy hazelnut filling.

9. Gemista cookies

These yummy little cookies are a bit like the chocolate-covered Oreos...but better.

8. Peanut butter Kit Kat bars. Enough said.

7. Ion chocolate with Hazelnuts

Basically, I love anything with hazelnuts. This is a delectable brand of Greek chocolate, very milky and rich.

6. Chocofreta bars

These bars remind me a little of Li'l Debbie's Nutty Bars. They are layered wafers and chocolate, and some of them have nuts. Super delish, and Nick's favorite.

5. Clusters chocolate cereal

The Greeks have a wide variety of chocolate cereals, but Nick and I became partial to Clusters. The cereal consists of chocolatey flakes, granola bits, and some of the flakes are covered in milk chocolate, which is amazing. How I'm going to go back to my Kashi Go Lean, I do not know.

4. Molto Way chocolate-filled croissants

I only ate half of one of these one morning, because they are too large and fatty even for me to handle. For what it is (a packaged croissant), it's pretty damn good. Nick loves these a lot.

3. Oregano flavored potato chips.
I first had these a few months ago when Nick brought them home from a trip over here, and I fell immediately in love. None of the American flavored potato chips can compete.

2. Merenda (Greece's version of Nutella)

Nutella has always been a guilty pleasure for me, and although I know you can get it in the States, I only eat it while abroad. Greece's version, Merenda, is just as wonderful, and makes for a delightful breakfast or dessert when spread on fresh bread.

Annnnnd the number 1 Greek junk food is.......

1. Dracoulinia

I cannot even explain to you how good these things are. I learned a little history of Dracoulinia from Nick. Apparently, they were not owned by Cheetos until a few years ago, but had their own seperate identity known to the Greek people as Dracoulina. Although Cheeto-like in texture, Dracoulina taste SO MUCH BETTER than Cheetos. They are oddly shaped like Dracula teeth. The taste is so different from American junk food...the flavor is cheesy and tomato-ey and...delicious. I'm going to bring back several bags and ration them---then have Nick bring me back some more.

And there you have it kids, my top 10 Greek junk foods. Greek isn't the fattest nation in Europe for nothin'! They've got something to show for it!

No comments: