Saturday, May 05, 2007

phew (giant sigh of relief)

RECITAL IS DONE!!!!!!!

After my recitals, I always turn into a major believer--for it is only God that can get me through something that requires so much composure, brain-power, technical skill, and trust in myself and those accompanying me on stage. I was so happy with how the recital went tonight; I felt like it was some of the best singing I've ever done. It's true that you have a sort of "out of body" experience with things like this--you can't think too much and you just have to let all the hard work you've done memorizing and rehearsing act on autopilot. I was so lucky to have a fantastic pianist and dear friend on stage with me, as well as three terrific string players and an oboeist. I was also very lucky to have lots of family and friends and my wonderful boyfriend cheering me on--as I have often said, without them I would have nothing to sing about. Some action shots taken by Nick:









It was alot of fun, but I'm glad it's over, as I usually am with these sorts of things. Now I just have to take one little exit exam, and I am a MASTER OF SINGING. That's right folks, I have mastered the human voice, just like a certain young woman at DePauw mastered the Bflat clarinet during her freshman year (Robert may be the only one who gets this joke---but that's ok, it was for his benefit anyway).

For real though...I'm not sure anyone can ever master the human voice. But tonight was the closest I've ever come. My voice did everything I told it to do, and everything I wanted it to do. I've never trusted it enough, that voice of mine, but after tonight I have a lot more faith in it. And in me.

Here's to four more weeks of being a student! (I'll probably be drunk for a good portion of them).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so fun! I'm glad I was there. You looked so beautiful and sounded even better!

Love you!

Robert said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA