Monday, April 30, 2007

living in sin

As my mother would say, I am officially living in sin. We moved Nick's furniture to a temporary storage unit on Saturday, and his TV, clothes, and a few other things came with him to live with me in Evanston for the next two months. I'm not sure how all these things managed to fit in my tiny apartment, but somehow, everything found a place and the apartment doesn't look too shabby. So far, it's been wonderful having a "live-in" (again, Mom's words): today Nick had chicken stir-fry ready and waiting for me when I got home from a very long day at 8:30 pm. He does dishes and laundry, he irons, and if it weren't for the little black sock fuzzies I find on every surface of the apartment, I'd say he's practically perfect in every way! (I'm working hard to find him a new brand of sock--certainly there must be a sock out there that does not produce copious amounts of sock fuzz that kind of look like spiders and freak me out). We are now recruiting people for our July move -- you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours (meaning....PLEASE help us move and we'll help you move in return).
So I survived moving day, now I just have to survive recital week. There are a few crucial rehearsals in the hall this week, mostly to check balance with my instrumentalists, but for the most part, I'm feeling good about it. The pollen count as of late has been wreaking havoc on my sinuses, but I've been neti-potting and downing mucinex and sudafed like there's no tomorrow. I've got my gown, the reception food is planned (just not bought), and recital posters created by Nick. The parentals plus Grandma, Elaine and Tom are coming to town, so it will be quite the party!
Additionally this week, I am singing on a masterclass tomorrow night with famous coach and pianist John Wustman. I have a terrific dress, and I'm planning to totally rock out on the Brahms lieder I'm doing--Der Tod das ist die kuehle Nacht. Should be good times. Other than that, I'm spending my time honing my skills as third-to-last Carmelite nun to get guillotined, and doing lots of yoga to create more peace and love within me. I've also decided to boycott eyeliner.

So, pray for my soul this week: for forgiveness of living in sin until Nick makes an honest woman of me, and for a good recital and not too much pollen in the air.

3 comments:

Robert said...

NETI POTTING! emily you know what comes of using eastern remedies.

Anonymous said...

Why are you boycotting eyeliner?

p.s. Living in sin is fun.

midwest princess said...

i don't know...i just decided to stop wearing it. i think it's unnecessary. now i just cake on the mascara.