Monday, May 12, 2008

mayhem (Greek style)

It's mayhem here right now, so forgive me if the posts become rather few and far between. If I've learned anything from the past few days it's this: I am not ready to have a child. I treasure my alone time, tidy apartment with nice things, dinners out, and peace and quiet far too much at this point to have to put an end to it all. I'll let you know when the motherhood twangs kick in again. It may be a very long time.

The situation here is rather sitcom-esque. There are four people living in this house, two of whom are bilingual, two of whom are not. I'll leave it to you to figure out which is which. I have learned the key phrases "What are you doing?" and "Stop it!", and I'm quickly adding more to my Greek vocabulary. Angelo is warming up to me, despite my not being able to say much of anything that he understands. He calls me something that sounds like "Memily" or "Mamily". It's pretty cute.

I managed to keep my OCD at bay for about three days, but when I woke up this morning and found Rice Krispies smashed into every available surface of my house, I had to clean it up immediately. I told Nick's sister, it's not that I'm irritated that it's there, I just can't NOT clean it up. It's just who I am. I'll never be the Mommy who can just ignore messes and be unphased by it all. I admire those people, I do. But I accept the fact that I'll never be one of them.

I'm enjoying some quiet time in the house now while Nick is at work and Chrysanthe and Angelo are at the Lincoln Park zoo. Then I'll be heading out to Plainfield to teach lessons. Things are so out of the ordinary here that I've nearly forgotten I still must do my work. Luckily there isn't too much of it this week. Because things are about to get even crazier with the arrival of Nick's best friend on Wednesday.

God help me. Allow me to be patient and not so OCD. Love, E

2 comments:

Sensitiva McFeelingsly said...

AHHH! I totally feel your pain. I am shamefully OCD as well. :)

Good luck! Stay strong! I'll be thinking about you. :)

Elaine said...

Hang in there! That's how I feel when my kids at school are smashing crayons and animal crackers into the carpet. Bleh!