Sunday, March 09, 2008

ramble ramble

It's midnight on Sunday night, and thanks to daylight savings time and a two hour nap this afternoon, I'm not the least bit tired. I've watched two On Demand movies (Waitress and The Nanny Diaries, both pretty good) and don't really feel like reading. So I figured I may as well blog. It's funny the things you do when you're not used to being in your place all by yourself. Today I went around looking at all my photo albums that are in various places around the house. I find myself becoming very nostalgic and weepy when I'm alone sometimes. Today I was looking at some pictures of my semester abroad, easily one of the best times in my whole life. Do you ever find yourself missing yourself? I wouldn't trade my current self with any of my old selves, because it took a lot of work to get where I am emotionally and otherwise. Much as I like to complain about the everyday minutiae, I love my life. But sometimes I look back on that girl who took Europe by storm, and I miss her a little bit. Obviously my circumstances were very different then, seeing as though I was a happy-go-lucky college student, but I lived life there in a way that I've never been able here in the States. Maybe this is telling me something....

Anyways. A whole weekend alone in one's giant apartment will apparently make one a bit loopy! The weekend turned out to be sort of enjoyable, despite freezing temps, missing Nick, and general grouchiness. Friday night after rehearsal I went to a "girl party" at my new friend Jessica's. Jessica, you'll remember, is my colleague at the music store in Palatine with whom I often drink beer on the train. So she invited me to a girly party at her apartment in Bucktown, complete with cosmopolitans and lots of yummy snacks. It was fun to meet and hang out with some different people, something I don't do often these days, and I think my friendship with Jessica will continue. And it's always great to know musicians who aren't classical ones, keeps it real.

Saturday I was a wee bit hungover, and I slept most of the day. I ventured out of the house in the early evening for a sushi date with some Northwestern friends, then came back home to study some Bach and veg out on the couch. That's gotta be one of the dorkiest Saturday nights in the history of the world. Thanks to daylight savings, it was rough getting up for church this morning, but I poured some Starbucks down my throat (along with a Mucinex and a gallon of water) and managed to sing some decent Bach. He's a real stinker, that J.S. After church, I had a lovely brunch with church friends Ryan and Sarah and Ryan's boyfriend Michael, then came home and passed out on the couch for two hours. Oh how I love a Sunday afternoon nap.

So that was my solitary weekend. It wasn't so bad, but I am missing my Nick. Especially on Sunday nights when we are always together relaxing at home and cooking dinner. He's having a swell time in Greece though, 70 degrees and sunny! He spent most of the weekend with his sister and her family and visiting his grandma in the village. This week he starts work on the taxes and other business-y errands dealing with the properties. I'm hoping this week will fly, and I think it will, since I have a million rehearsals and all my regular teaching. Then next week (Holy Week, God save us church-jobbers), my Mom is coming to stay with me for five days! Actually, my church job is pretty tame during Holy Week (compared to my last church job - 10+ calls during HW), so I'll have plenty of time to spend with Mom! Should be lots of fun.

Well, I guess I'll try to sleep now. Hope you all have a terrific Monday. Hang in there Chicagoans (and others in cold cities). I feel spring is near, it's just got to be...

1 comment:

Thomas said...

you were right!
spring is near spring is near spring is near!
if only i didn't have finals next week, i would be outside enjoying myself and the weather :)
have a good weekend!