Tuesday, April 08, 2008

the tour continues

Greetings from Champaign-Urbana, home of the University of Illinois! The Super 8 here is a breath of fresh air compared to the one we were at in a southern suburb of Chicago last night. It looked like a bombed out building in post Cold War Russia, the hallways reeked of smoke, and there were lots of shady characters hanging out in the lobby. There was a large sign at the front entrance that said "NO GUESTS AFTER 9:30 pm" -- ????. I imagine to keep the prostitutes away? Luckily Nick came to stay with me so he could take my car back to the city. It was a long day yesterday, what with our 1:30 show in Palatine, my regular Monday teaching in Plainfield, then to the south suburbs to the hotel. Today's shows in Olympia Fields were fun, especially since we got to do two shows at one school (it's SO nice not to have to re-load the set and head to a different school in the afternoon) and -- my mom came! She really wanted to see the shows, and these were the closest ones to her, so she drove up to see me. She's such a supportive mommy.

Tonight we are going to find a cute dinner spot near the University and chill at the hotel. No whirlpool, unfortunately. :( I am feeling much better now and my voice is pretty much back to normal, thank goodness. It's nice to finally be well for a day of shows! Tomorrow our shows are around here but then it is back to Wisconsin for the remainder of the week. We have a public show in Madison on Saturday morning, and Nick is coming up to spend the weekend with me. I won't be going home until Friday the 18th which feels like a really long time at this point, but I'm sure it will fly. It's really nice to have a break from the usual daily grind, although I think moving from hotel to hotel will get wearing pretty fast. I have my camera and cable so hopefully I'll have some pics to share soon!

More later!

No comments: