Monday, September 24, 2007

and how are you?

I can feel my blog getting less popular by the minute. First I make it private, then a bout of writer's block strikes -- what has happened to make the Midwest Princess the new boring stop on the internets? All the signs point to one fact: I am happy. Blissfully, unabashedly happy. I'm the fattest I've been in several years; I'm sleeping Ambien free and sounder than I have in ages; I'm not taking any prescription medications (besides birth control), my mood is generally fantastic (besides that troublesome time of the month); and I am actually excited to get out of bed in the morning and start my day. I guess I'm the new cheerleader for "don't do something you hate" and "do what makes you happy." Because right now, I am doing EXACTLY what I want to be doing. I'm teaching music, I'm working as a singer, and I'm avidly plugging away at my career. The money situation is a little sticky, as it would be for anyone just starting their own business. Thankfully, I have a wonderful support system; people who believe in me and my ability to make this all work. And boy am I working -- teaching is exhausting! It requires an incredible amount of energy and patience, especially with the younger ones. But the outcome is extremely satisfying: when one of the kids gets excited about their progress; when I can hear the improvement and growth in one of my high schooler's voices. Each day presents new and different challenges, and I'm having a lot of fun rising to meet them.

My personal life is pretty darn fantastic, too. According to the Today Show (yes, I tuned in this morning) love makes you fat. And Nick and I are a prime example of love = fat: we are both currently the heaviest we've been in a loooong while. Since we are both quite tall and could afford to gain a few, it's not too big of a deal, but as you know, I've got a bridesmaids dress to fit into next month and neither of us wants this to escalate into a weight problem, so we're trying to eat healthier and exercise lots. It's going quite well, as both of us feel our clothes getting looser and frankly, I'm really enjoying the exercise regimen. I used to love to exercise in college (ab ball!), but lack of funds and laziness set in during the years that followed and I lost the habit. Now I'm back and swimming in endorphins and runner's high!

I do still manage to live a fantastic Chicago life -- Friday night we had a fantastic dinner at Cotes du Rhone, a new BYOB French place in the 'hood. They are trying to get their liquor license, so it probably won't be BYOB for long. It was scrumptious. Steamed mussels for the appetizer, beef tenderloin in a blue cheese reduction for me and venison in a delicious cranberry glaze for Nick. And a delectable chocolate bread pudding for dessert. After dinner, we headed to a local martini bar, a teeny tiny little place hidden away on a side street in our 'hood. Very classy joint and yummy, different martinis. Mine was a "Park Avenue" which was gin, pineapple, and blue curacao. Deeelish. Saturday we went to a baptism party for one of Nick's assistants, then met up with my friend Suzanne for all-you-can-eat sushi in Lincoln Park. I managed ot get a lot of sleep, watch plenty of HGTV (I can't get enough of House Hunters) and Flip that House on TLC (there was a marathon) AND take a long walk with my sweetie along the lakeshore. Really a perfect Chicago weekend. Now if only the heat would break and we could have some real fall weather.

So, this explains why my readership is dwindling. That and the privacy, but I can't have my eleven year old piano students googling me, reading this blog, and knowing every detail of my personal life. No, no, that wouldn't bode well. Nor do I want to censor my writing -- SO privacy was the only answer. But to all my loyal readers -- I love you! YOU are why I continue to write! Don't stop reading and commenting! I'll try to keep putting out the funny stuff. And you know me, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's putting out. See, I'd have had to censor that.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

don't worry, i love your blog! how is nick?

p.s. i loooooove flip that house!