Wednesday, September 12, 2007

teachin'

Well, turns out even as a teacher I can get paid to sit around on the computer. I'm subbing for my friend Sarah in Palatine, and the last three kids haven't shown up. I get paid even when the kids don't show, but it can be pretty boring if you don't bring anything to do. Luckily I brought my computer, so I've been obsessively listening to the arias I recorded yesterday, deciding which ones to send to the various YAPS. Some require two arias, some three, and some absolutely ridiculous ones require four. I'd like to know what artistic director is going to sit around and listen to me sing four arias, but that's neither here nor there. Although the recording doesn't sound entirely professional (I used my voice teacher's CD recorder in the recital hall), it isn't bad, and I didn't shell out $150 bucks to make it. If it doesn't get me auditions this year, I'll know that I have to make a very professional one next year. I hope that isn't the case, however. I am also a GENIUS because I figured out ALL BY MYSELF how to edit a track on Garage Band. I spent an hour on the phone with my brother this morning trying to do it, but I kept f-ing it up. But this evening I figured it out! I was proud. See, my church records everything we do there, but in one big chunk, so the recital I did there last year with two other women was one forty-eight minute track, from which I needed to extract one aria. Garage Band is totally awesome -- GO MAC!

So, I'm busy being a voice teacher and singer these days. It really is a lovely life. Despite my headache and PMS, I am happy to be here teaching today. I forgot how funny and weird children can be. Some of the things that come out of their mouths really amuse me. Yesterday a girl, probably 10 or 11, told me that her friend was being "melodramatic" at school today because she spilled milk all over herself. I'm thinking, "did I know the word melodramatic"at age 10"? Some kids are like miniature adults I guess. I'm starting to get the hang of the piano teaching. I felt a little intimidated at first, since it's been like five years since I've had a piano lesson. All those lessons with Dr. Claudia Bossard at DePauw are coming back to me as I sit here correcting the kids' hand and wrist positions. Most of the kids are really young and just starting so it's basically just teaching them theory and how to read music.

The weekend is going to be another crazy one. Music of the Baroque rehearsal all day Saturday with concerts on Sunday and Monday night, plus my friend Allison's bachelorette party on Saturday night. Her wedding is just about a month away! I do hope I fit into the bridesmaids dress...I fear I've gained a bit of poundage since those measurements were taken three months ago. I better step up my workouts a little.

I'm off to teach one more lesson. Do something that makes you happy today!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Kids are hilarious. Julia, who is 5, mind you, said to me today "I just automatically freaked out!"
Automatically? Freaked out? Who is this person?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the little girl who likes to sing Push It by Salt 'n Peppa and that Pussycat Dolls song! :)