Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sundee night musings

It's 9:49 on a Sunday night, and yet it feels like it must be midnight. Nick is snoring on the couch, and I'm trying to keep my eyes open until atleast 11:00 pm. Does the end of Daylight Savings Time get more difficult to deal with as you get older? Because I don't remember feeling this way in the past. I stayed up late last night watching Spider Man 3, so the extra hour this morning was very nice. I guess I am getting old...increasingly, my idea of a fun Saturday night includes some tempura and spider maki rolls from the local sushi joint, followed by a little cuddling and movie watching, followed by a shared ice cream sandwich with Nick in bed before nodding off. Yes, I do still like to go out, but my party self seems to emerge less and less these days. Could have something to do with the stress of auditioning.

Speaking of auditioning, I've got my Florida Grand audition tomorrow. I haven't done much singing since I got back from NYC last Tuesday, and my voice has actually been feeling kind of crappy, so I'm not really looking forward to it. I know I'll pump up tomorrow, but for some reason I've just felt lazy and unmotivated for the past several days. I scheduled a lesson for this week, so I'll be forced to step it up a little bit. And I need to get back to the gym. I think part of my malaise has been due to not enough cardiovascular exercise.

Things I have been motivated to do lately: redecorating our living room! On Saturday, I sold the futon that I purchased in a foggy, sleep deprived haze last March in an effort to combat insomnia. It's a nice futon, but seriously people, we've moved beyond the futon days of our lives in this house. A very nice, (tiny) Asian girl has found herself a new bed for her studio apartment. Today we purchased a new chair and a large rug for the room! Lucky for us, they had the rug in stock, so we got to bring it home! I don't want to post a picture until we get the chair, so you can see the full effect of the new room. It's very exciting to have furniture that all matches and is so pretty! And not from Ikea! Don't get me wrong, I love Ikea, but sometimes a girl needs something un-Swedish that doesn't require assembly.

I'm getting excited and slightly overwhelmed thinking about the upcoming holidays. I've got a lot of good stuff coming up, but it's just...ALOT. Music of the Baroque asked me to do their Christmas concerts, which is fantastic, and the extra money is a Godsend at a time of much need. Plus I loved singing with them and am so so SO flattered they asked me back. Then I'm doing Rejoice Greatly with chamber orchestra at my church, which I've done a hundred times but will still be stressful because that aria is a biaaaaatch. I always say I need someone behind me pinching my ass to get through that thing. Any volunteers for the position? Then there's getting my students ready for their holiday recitals and starting this new job in Plainfield on Mondays (I start tomorrow -- I'm driving an hour each way to teach for an hour--yes, ridiculous, I know, but I have to get started). And now I've signed on to do another holiday concert (solo gig!) with a suburban orchestra, which is very exciting and won't be too difficult as it will just be Hansel and Gretel stuff and O Holy Night. The problem is the juggling of schedules. Theoretically, I can do all of these things, but it requires some shifting of students and getting subs for Palatine, which can be a major pain in the ass. What irks me is that I generally have the hours between 9 am and 2 pm completely free. But can anyone schedule anything during those times? No. Everything must be crammed in the hours between 3 pm and 10 pm. So get ready...come December, I will be hard pressed to find time for anything. Unless of course you'd like to have a lunch date or a 9 am coffee. Because I'm always free for those!

No comments: