Thursday, December 07, 2006

me vs. head cold

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing Romeo et Juliette at Lyric Opera, and it was absolutely delightful. The leads were spectacular; it was some of the best live singing I've heard in ages. Not only were their voices amazing, but their characters were so delightful to watch. They had a frolicky bedroom scene that was just too precious for words...it brought back wonderful memories of those first throes of love, when everything is exhilarating and new. The sets and costumes were beautiful as well, and I had a terrific seat. Definitely one of my favorite perks of being a student -- twenty dollar opera tickets!
Today I am back in officeland. Since I didn't have anything going on today or tomorrow, I agreed to take an assignment from my temp agency. I'd forgotten how truly miserable it is! I left home at 8:04, but apparently one hour is not enough to get from Evanston to downtown on our city's miserable excuse for a public transit system. I was fifteen minutes late, which isn't too big of a deal, except for the fact that the only requirement of the job is being a warm body that shows up on time. To make matters a bit worse, I have developed quite a nasty head cold. I'm trying not to freak out, because I have a rehearsal tonight, an audition Saturday, and a Christmas cantata to sing on Sunday morn. Since I just had a cold in October, I'm rather annoyed, but I did atleast have at home all the necessary items for waging war on the virus. Cold Eeze lozenges, Ricola, Sudafed, Mucinex, Tylonel, Throat Coat tea with ecchinacea, Chicken soup, steamy showers, humidifier on full blast, soft Kleenex. I spent the entire day yesterday in bed, drinking a gallon of juice and sleeping it off. It's a bitter fight between my immune system and the virus, and I will win!
Now, I must go disinfect this desk area with rubbing alcohol. Germs are lurking in every corner, and I will not let them defeat me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I'm on day 13 of a cold that transformed into a sinus and ear infection.

GLORIOUS!

Your medicine cabinet sounds like mine.