Friday, December 22, 2006

Part 2: The American learns everything she ever wanted to know (and more) about Greek people

My initial awe at the beauty of Athens has not disappeared, but the past few days have been an interesting, non-touristy learning experience about the people of Greece and the way the country works (or doesn't work, according to Nick).

My second day in Greece began with many taxi rides about town to collect necessary paperwork for Nick to put his mother in her final resting place. The traffic in Athens is pretty horrendous -- and I thought Chicago was bad! Everyone in Europe drives like a maniac, this I know already, but I guess I'd conveniently forgotten. Once we had accomplished Nick's tasks for the day, we headed to a suburb near his sister's called Glyfada, where I experienced the Greek fast food chain Goody's. It is fascinating to me that this Greek chain does better than McDonalds in this country. I had a club sandwich, which is apparently all the rage here right now (not really sure why).

After lunch, we hung around Glyfada and shopped. I went to Zara and dropped some cash -- it was a favorite when I lived in Vienna, and I needed a fix. Later, we headed to his sister's house in Voula, which is south of Athens near the sea. I got to meet her adorable children, George and Angelo, who are six and one and a half. The occasion for our visit was George's school Christmas play, in which he had one line and was dressed like a wrapped present. Of course, I didn't understand a word of the play, but it was quite amusing. After the play, we went for a souvlaki (now I've eaten two in two days mmmmmmm) in Glyfada. It was a fun evening, and I was so happy to meet the rest of Nick's family.

Other Greek things I've learned about since my arrival: gypsies, these crazy people who accost you while you're sitting in a cafe and try to sell you various useless things. I didn't understand the difference between these people and homeless people, but apparently these people have homes. I don't know, I still don't really get it. Greek government offices apparently all close at 2:30 pm, so you have to get your business done early. The Mall
(it's actual name) is the first Greek shopping mall and would make any American feel right at home -- they even have Hooters! Which is where I am now, at an internet cafe surrounded by teenage boys playing video games, so I think it's 'bout that time...must go find Christmas presents for Grandma and Aunt Aphrodite...but more about them later...

No comments: