Friday, December 15, 2006

my apartment and building management is trying to kill me: part deux

A continuation of the saga from the previous evening...

Around 2:00 am I finally fell fast asleep (assisted by Xanax). I was awakened at 8:00 am by persistent hammering, banging, sawing, and drilling coming from my neighbor to the left. To my dismay, today was the appointed day for installing new windows in my neighbor's apartment. I had received a notice that mine would be changed on Monday, after which I promptly called the managemant company to persuade them to do it some other time. I know how these worker men do business -- they trample all over the apartment and leave a filthy mess for me to clean up. Zumi over at Oak I Evanston LLC (God love her--I terrorize the woman on a bi-weekly basis) assured me that they would clean up after themselves. Riiiiight, I thought to myself, invisioning the filth I'd come home to in three weeks time.

Fast forward to this morning, circa 11:30. After finally managing to fall back to sleep, cotton stuffed in my ears to drown out the pounding, I was awakened by another banging, this one a bit nearer. Once I finally realized it was my door being banged on, I threw on my bathrobe (due to the heat I was sleeping in near nothing) and sleepily opened the door to find three worker men staring back at me. "Oh, ju are steel sleeping", one of the men said. Apparently, they wanted to come in and change my windows immediately. I sighed, giving up the thought of any more sleep, and allowed them to enter.

After getting dressed and heading out for a latte and a muffin, I returned to the apartment to find...a GIGANTIC mess. They had covered my bed in plastic, but that was about it. The rest of the apartment was covered in a layer of filth, which I knew these men were not going to clean up. I sighed again, waited for them to finish, then went out and spent $30 on cleaning supplies and set to work. I figured as long as things were a huge mess, I may as well clean up right. Luckily I bought one of these:

perhaps the greatest thing ever invented and the best $20 I've spent in a long time.

Things are far from clean yet, since I spent a delightful evening having drinks and dinner and seeing Die Fledermaus with my girl Emmy. But with the Swiffer Wet Jet, I feel in control once more...

Please let this be the end of the apartment surprises. I'm not sure I can handle much more!

1 comment:

Robert said...

i'm still laughing about the way you write in a "spanish" accent.