Saturday, December 09, 2006

update

Me vs. head cold is not going so well. I'm sure you all *love* reading about the progression of my illness, so I'll spare you the details. Let's just say that there is heavy chest congestion and some coughing up of lovely things. I finally went to the doc today and got an antibiotic, so hopefully I will kick this thing soon. I don't like coughing; it's basically the worst thing you can do to your vocal cords, but when your lungs are full of phlegm, there seems to be no alternative.
Unfortunately, I had an audition today for Utah Opera Apprentice Program. I sang anyway, but I really have no idea how it sounded because my ears and head were so clogged with mucuous. Oddly, my cords seem to be functioning fairly well, so as long as I didn't cough in the middle of an aria (which I didn't) things were pretty much ok. I decided to change things up and start with Marzelline's aria from Fidelio instead of my usual Juliette's Waltz, and then he asked for Deh vieni...so we'll see. I'm proud of the three auditions I did this fall, and each one is a step in the right direction (I keep telling myself).
Only one Christmas in the Southwest oratorio stands between me and my trip home tomorrow. Yes, that's right, it's Christmas in the Southwest at Trinity church tomorrow. It sounds absurd, but it's actually quite lovely--accompanied by harp, marimba, and guitar. I only have one very minor solo in it, so I'm not stressing. Then it is off to Fort Wayne for a few lovely days at my parents'. I plan to sleep in, do a little shopping with Mom, hang my ornament (they always save one ornament for me to hang on the tree when I get home), FINALLY see my sister's house and dogs, have my laundry done by my mommy (yes, I'm spoiled), and spend some time on on our comfy couch next to a roaring fire in the fireplace. I really need this trip--I've been a bit depressed with everything that is going on lately--illness, missing Nick, stressful auditions and audition outcomes. It will be a real treat to be surrounded by people that love me and want to take care of me, even if it's only for a few days. Also--I have a feeling that I might be getting a digital something or other that rhymes with schamera for Christmas, so I may be having a picture posting heyday pretty soon here!

No comments: