Tuesday, February 20, 2007

In the bleak midwinter

Well, a crazy weekend is behind me (thankfully), a concert well-sung, parents entertained, and now, sadly, my boyfriend is on a plane back to Greece. But it will only be a short time until I see him again, so I am keeping my chin up. I have a very busy weekend ahead of me with two auditions, a trip to the ballet for one of my classes, and the Bel Canto contest at Monastero's on Sunday. My hard work has finally paid off, because I just got a callback for a summer operetta company and advanced to the second round of a big money contest, both of which are this weekend!! I am so thrilled that a few things are starting to go well careerwise. I have a gorgeous new gown to wear for the conest on Sunday (the contest is formal and in front of an audience!), and I am feeling great about my audition pieces. It's an Italian opera conest, so I'm doing Guilietta's aria from Bellini's I Capuleti e I Montecchi (O quante volte), and a Tosti song, because it's cheesy and oh so Italian. It should be fun, and regardless of whether or not I move on to the next round, I win $250. That's my kind of contest.

In other news, I am trying desperately to get on a bit of a healthier living track. I guess it's the springy weather and the season of Lent and the thought of putting on a bikini in a few months thats motivating me, but it's also the fact that I've been experiencing some ill health lately, namely a bladder infection that won't go away and bouts of insomnia. Starting tonight, I'm attempting to eat more fruits and veggies, walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day (my knees can't seem to handle running lately), go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, do yoga once a week, and try to get off as many meds as possible. It's not that I take a horrendous amount of medication, but I really want to make a go at being med-free (with the exception of birth control, as I don't need any babies anytime soon).

Like I said, the springy weather has given me the desire for a new, healthy lifestyle. Chicago has suddenly been experiencing 40 degree weather, and I can't tell you how good it feels. I feel almost as though I could go frolic around outside in a t-shirt and jeans. I guess that's what a month of below-zero temperatures will do to a person. Thank goodness it's here to stay for atleast a week or so. Everyone I come in contact with seems happier and more alive. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Chicago is one of the best places to be when the weather turns. People are so grateful for the sun and warmth (even if it's only 45), and suddenly the city comes alive in a way that you never thought possible during the bleak midwinter. It's days like this I'm happy to call myself a Chicagoan (even if there is a half foot of brown sludge covering every available surface).

No comments: