Thursday, August 09, 2007

the homeless, other stuff

Sometimes, if I am in a really good mood, I buy food and/or beverages for homeless people. In Evanston, the homeless people are extremely friendly and "well-off" (Contradictory as it sounds, it's true. If I were a homeless person, I'd want to be in Evanston). The Northwestern students are always striking up conversations with them, giving them spare change, and buying them a Starbucks or a candy bar. They are smart by constantly hanging out in the same place, so that the kids get used to Rasta Man at Starbucks, Small Bald Man in front of CVS, and Crazy Yelling Man in front of Buffalo Joe's (he actually kind of scares me). I've heard rumors that some of them are not actually homeless, but that's neither here nor there.

The homeless people in the Loop, however, don't have it so good. Largely ignored by the indifferent and down-trodden office workers, they sit on the corners looking pretty beat-down and rarely do I see anyone offer them anything. Although yesterday I saw this one fat homeless man who is usually shoe-less wearing a pair of white Crocs. So maybe there are kinder people in the Loop than I realize. Today, as I walked into Dunkin Donuts to get an iced coffee and a bagel, I heard a raspy voice next to the door say, "spare a small coffee?". I'm wary of giving these people money(my mother always said "They will just go and buy booze with it, Emily!", but a small coffee is a different story. Certainly I can spare a dollar every now and again to allow this person a cup of joe. When I brought it to him, the look on his face was truly grateful, and I was glad that I did it. I wanted to whisper to him "Get yourself to Evanston, the promised land for homeless people", and give him the $2 for the El, but then decided against it. Who I am to tell this homeless man where to set up camp? Surely, being on the street, he knows better than I do where is best for him.

In Emily news, I am changing temp jobs, woohoo! I had a rather intense interview with a small law firm on Tuesday, and apparently they liked me, so I am starting there next week. It sounds like I will be much busier than I am here (thank GOD), and I won't be in complete isolation like I am here, with only WXRT to keep me company (fine company it is, but sometimes I just want to talk to someone). It is a long-term job, with the possibility of permanent employment, so we'll see how it goes. The office manager, whom I'll mostly be working with, seems really nice, as do the two attorneys. They told me that they don't like to hire "career admins", as in, people whose highest career goal is to be an administrative assitant. I took this to mean that they prefer to hire over-qualified, highly educated people such as myself and most other actors/performers who will take the job seriously enough but view it mostly as a vehicle through which to maintain a certain lifestyle while pursuing their real passion. So I will join the ranks of two of my favorite bloggers, Jason, and Dan, who work for lawyers in NYC.

Last night was our last rehearsal in the dingy, disgusting, unairconditioned YMCA childcare center cafeteria. Thank heavens. The heat had become rather unbearable this week, and I think the filthiness of the room was starting to get to everyone. It had certainly gotten to me (weeks ago). I cringed whenever I had to sit on a piece of furniture or touch really anything. I've disinfected any and all of my belongings that entered that room with Clorox wipes. Call me a germaphobe, but if you saw this room, you'd do the same. Luckily (or not so luckily, depending on how you look at it), tonight we move into Cahn Auditorium for a six hour re-spacing rehearsal. Directors always get a little skittish during these first rehearsals onstage. I think they are concerned that their "vision" of what the show should look like won't be realized, so they start to freak. So I'm expecting tonight to be rather...trying. Re-spacing rehearsals are extremely tedious, as you don't fully "act", or sing or dance any of the show, but rather just walk through everything to make sure you know where you go onstage. I was saying to someone yesterday that I wish I could send a body-double, a proxy, if you will, to stand around and be me, but I don't think anyone would be too happy about that (except me). So I guess I'll have to suffer through it.

Not sure what the plans are for the weekend -- it's a short weekend since I only have Friday evening and Saturday off, and Nick has to work Saturday morning. We're thinking about Ravinia or the Chicago Botanical Gardens if it's not too hot. And probably a good restaurant or two. And several drinks. Only three weeks 'til the Labor Day vacay. I'm counting 'em down.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

new post, please!