Wednesday, August 01, 2007

hump day

I'm here in the office for a pointless four hours of blogging and blog-reading before I go up to Evanston to teach lessons for the afternoon and get a hair cut and brow wax at Art + Science = Hair. Yes, that's really the name. I totally cannot afford it right now, but if I have to spend another day with these bloody bangs in my face or look at my hideous eyebrows one more time, I'm going to explode. A good hair cut and brow wax is worth it's weight in gold (that makes no sense, but I'm tired today and thus the cliches), and I've been feeling like a troll lately, so it's going to do me a lot of good. I've learned the hard way that a haircut is not something you scrimp on. There's a reason that cranky Russian woman who can barely speak English is cutting hair at Hair Cuttery--she sucks at it. Then it's off to rehearsal tonight, which is becoming much more fun now that we are just running portions of the show as a whole -- moving onto the stage next week is going to be a different story. Four words: Seven. Hour. Re-spacing. Rehearsal. I can't get over just how MANY gigantic chorus numbers are in this show. Off the top of my head, atleast ten. Torturous as the rehearsal process has been, it is going to be a highly entertaining show. Great singing, (mediocre) dancing, beautiful costumes and sets, a duel, a dramatic death scene, flappers and soldiers and "ladies of the night" and big ball gowns. The script is absolutely absurd, but it's fun and it's entertainment. My mother is going to love it -- I think deep in her heart she always wished I had pursued a career on Broadway or something. She comes to my operas and concerts and is a great supporter of my career, of course, but whenever she sees a Broadway musical (which she LOVES), she says to me. "You could do that, Emily!" Thankfully, I did not pursue that career, as I'd be up shit creek even more than I am now. I recently read an article about the extinction of the Broadway soprano, whatwith all the pop musicals so popular in recent times. And it's true -- there's a very small number of women with legit soprano voices singing on Broadway right now. Thank goodness I stuck with opera.

And now I must do a shamelss plug for my little sister's blog, Blah Blah Blog. My sister was a journalism major and is a fantastic (published!) writer, so expect great things. No pressure or anything, Elaine. :) And to end this post, I will continue the "image profile" she included on her post today.

Place You Grew Up:


Place You Live Now:


Your Name:


Your Grandmother's Name:


Favorite Food:


Favorite Drink:


Favorite Song:


Favorite Smell:


Pics of my hair cut tomorrow. Happy Hump Day!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

thanks for continuing that oh-so-fun meme :)