Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Super Temp!

I finally got around to fixing/posting more Door County pics. Check 'em out!

It's my last week here in the office before school starts on Tuesday, and I've totally adopted the "it's not my problem" attitude. I realized that I'd actually started to care about this job on Monday when there was a mistake in the lunch I'd ordered for a meeting. I went all bat-shit crazy trying to correct it, and then I thought, "Whoa...when did I go from 'bored temp in a cubicle who is occasionally asked to type documents and make phone calls' to 'power temp who is in charge of ordering lunches and freaks out when they aren't right'?" It's actually kind of amazing the amount of responsibility these people have given me. I've had to select several menus for their National Convention in November (thank God I won't be around to hear about it if they suck), plan sight-seeing outings for spouses on a retreat, take dictation (does anybody do that anymore? maybe I should put it on my resume, because I'm awesome at it)...the list goes on and on. Truthfully, it's been a great learning experience; I've learned more at this job than all my other temp jobs combined.
Thankfully, next week I return to my real career! I am excited to start the school year, but also a bit anxious. I haven't been singing much at all this summer, so I fear that I'll be a bit rusty. But I have a new voice teacher, which I'm really excited about, and several interesting classes - and coaching with the one and only Sherrill Milnes. Ack! I'm hoping that a fresh start will make me more excited about singing and my career. I think it will. I was revising some of my resumes yesterday, and I realized - I've worked damn hard to get this far! It's not time to give up yet!
One tidbit of humor: Yesterday I had to send some emails from the President's office while he was away at a retreat. I kid you not, there is a golden stapler on his desk. I laughed so hard I cried. And then I sang "I've got a golden stapler" (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tune) quietly to myself for the rest of the day.

No comments: