Wednesday, April 18, 2007

dawgs

Lately, I've been a little obsessed with researching dogs on the internet...because I REALLY REALLY want to get one this summer. I found this awesome website that has a page or two listing nearly every detail about every dog breed in existence. I'm leaning toward a Bichon/Yorkie mix or a Bichon/Shih Tzu mix or a Bichon/Poodle mix.


Just for fun, I looked up the page on dachsunds to see if their description of temperment matched the late great Royal Duchess Lady Lyday's (our family's beloved dachsund who passed away two years ago at the age of 15). Here is what it said:

Lively and affectionate; proud and bold, almost rash. Tenacious. Can be willful and clownish. Curious and mischievous, they are very clever and may attempt to train the owner rather than allow the opposite. Devoted to his family, some fanciers feel the long-haired variety is calmer than the other two types. The wire-haired variety is more outgoing and clown-like. All are slightly difficult to train. Dachshunds are good dogs to travel with. They are best with older, considerate children and are moderately protective. These little dogs like to bark (their barks are surprisingly loud for their size) and are compulsive diggers. They are generally okay with other pets, however, they can be jealous, irritable, obstinate and very quick to bite. Sometimes they will refuse to be handled. They should not be over fed, for this breed tends to gain weight quickly.

While she was a wonderful pet, Duchess had some quirks, most notably, she hated anyone who wasn't in our family. She was known to chase grown men around the house, nibbling at their heels. "Sometimes they will refuse to be handled"--this is a major understatement in Duchess' case. Weighing in at a mere 7 pounds during her peak of good health, it was very easy to pick up Duchess and put her wherever you wanted her, but if you weren't my mom, dad, sister, or I, good luck with that one. She'd attempt to bite your hand off before she'd let you pick her up. "These little dogs like to bark"--also a major understatement. When a stranger entered the house (or even a friend who had been over about a hundred times), Duchess would bark at them relentlessly until someone just put her outside to make it stop.

But she was a sweet and wonderful dog, and I remember many a sick day home from school on the couch when she would curl up next to me on the sofa and nuzzle her little nose into my arm or leg. We had a lot of fun with Duchess, and she was a part of our family. Rest in peace Duchess, rest in peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh she was so grey in that picture! I miss my little baby but, of course, having two pups has eased the pain. She did always spend the whole day with me when I was sick and home from school, two.
I could cry talking about her!

Anyway, what kind of dog is the other pic you posted? Is that the yorkie mix?

midwest princess said...

yeah, that's the yorkie bichon mix. isn't she SO adorable? i want her.

Robert said...

this post made me want a dog.

and i hate dogs.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of dogs... I just got one! :) Ryan and I are now the proud parents of an eight week old shih-tzu puppy that we have named Logan. :) :)

I am already so in love with the little guy. I hope you can get a dog soon too! Try to pick a non-busy time though, because puppies are a TON of work - I haven't slept over five hours in a night for the last few days. But, it's worth it.

I hope you're well!

midwest princess said...

oh lord, only five hours a night? yikes! i can't wait to meet logan!!!! i'm sure he is as lovable as Eli--I always loved little Li-Li. i will call you soon!