Friday, June 29, 2007

farewell Evanston

I wanted to write a post today about my current raging at Comcast and my staffing agency, but I'm just not sure I want them to have any more of my time and energy. I've been doing pretty well lately just going with the flow (I've never been a 'go with the flow' type of person), so I'm not going to get into it. I will say that I don't understand why people don't just do their jobs. As in, showing up to install my cable and paying me on time. Is it really too much to ask?

I was having sort of an existential crisis yesterday. Sitting at a desk doing absolutely nothing for seven hours every day will do that to a person. I try to fill the days with productive personal and career related tasks, but after awhile, it feels like I'm rotting away here with absolutely no purpose. I'm trying to devise a plan for saving as much money as possible this summer and paying off my credit card, so that hopefully after this job is over I can take some time off temping for lessons and coachings and concentrating on my auditions. The current temp job is about as bad as they get as far as being boring and isolating, but atleast I'm not chained to the desk (some jobs I've done require calling someone to answer the phone while you go to the potty - ridiculous). I'm free to use the facilities whenever I want, and if the two guys are traveling, I can play the radio, sing, lay on the floor and take a nap...basically anything I want. Unfortunately they've been here the past two days. Next week I'm thinking of bringing in my computer and watching DVDs. Would it be too much to stuff a pillow in my bag and bring that, too? Maybe a small blankie?

Tonight I'm donning my rubber gloves and cleaning the hell out of the new apartment. I saw that BBC show How Clean Is Your House the other day and lost my shit. How do people live like that? Since we're moving, I haven't really cleaned the current apartment in a while,and I've become rather disgusted with it, so I vowed that before we move a single piece of furniture into the new place, I will be scrubbing every available surface until it is sparkly and shiny. Nick will be helping, of course, and afterward we will probably go for a beer and some dinner, then crash one last time in Evanston before saying goodbye to the 'burbs for atleast another year. Things I will miss about Evanston: proximity to the lakeshore (although we won't be that much further away at our new place), Merle's BBQ, the movie theater, gelato from Italian Coffee Bar, Cozy Noodles (although I'm extremely hopeful that I will find a new tasty Thai place near our new apartment, and since they are on every corner, I don't think it will be too difficult), the Evanston public library, Bennison's bakery, and being near a Whole Foods. Things I won't miss: driving up Ridge, the Purple line, crazy Nazi parking officials, obnoxious undergrads (and some grads),and feeling waaaay far away from all the fun in Chicago.

It's been a good two years, Evanston. You saw me through a lot of tough times, but now I'm afraid our affair must come to an end. I'm going back to my first and real love - the city of Chicago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you also prob won't miss the homeless man who once lived in your vestibule and smelled like pee pee

midwest princess said...

indeed. i will not miss him one bit. there seem to be a lot less homeless people in my new 'hood...and a lot more gays with nice landscaping. woot!