Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Tribute to Robert Altman



Famed director Robert Altman passed away Tuesday at a Los Angeles hospital. In 2004, Mr. Altman singlehandedly changed my life when he chose me out of a lineup of thirty women to play a maid in the world premeire opera "A Wedding" at Lyric Opera of Chicago. The opera is based off of his 1978 movie of the same name and composed by William Bolcom. Not only was I able to quit my heinous day job, I got to experience first-hand the innerworkings of one of the world's greatest opera houses, plus meet lots of amazing people. And get paid for it. Here is a pic from back in the day:



Although I don't think he ever remembered my name after the first rehearsal, I did receive from Mr. Altman, along with the rest of the cast, a lovely scarf and signed card to commemorate the world premiere cast of the opera.

So thank you, Robert Altman, for choosing me for your opera, probably because I was the tallest girl at the audition. Thank you for your strange but amusing movies. May you rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like his movie, A Prairie Home Companion.