Sunday, March 18, 2007

more words from abroad

Life is good here in Athens. I've been sleeping inordinate amounts, pefecting the great art of lazing, taking in beautiful views in beautiful weather, snuggling with my honey, and generally being wonderfully happy. Save for a small one-day stomach bug and a little bit of a head cold that I caught from Nick, I've been having a terrific time on my second trip to Greece. This trip has been a bit more laid back; I saw most of the touristy sights on my first trip, so we haven't felt the need to rush out and do everything in a short period of time. Yesterday we spent a lovely Saturday walking around town, shopping, stopping for a freddo (Greek coffee drink, like an iced latte), people watching, and hiking up Filopappou Hill to take in the view of the Acropolis and Athens on such a gorgeous day (funny enough, most of the Greek people were wearing their winter coats, and I was wearing a t-shirt -- guess that says something about the weather I've become accustomed to in Chicago these days). We've spent some time with Nick's nephews, who are adorable as ever. We took a scenic drive to Sounio to check out some ruins and dined at a little cafe right on the sea.
And I've eaten plenty, as usual. The one-day stomach bug set me back a bit, but as the true foodie I am, I rallied and have been eating like a champ ever since. Last night we had a spectacular dinner in Psiri, a trendy "going-out" area of Athens, followed by some amazing gelato. The dinner consisted of some rooster with yogurt honey dipping sauce, pork with a spicy sauce, eggplant with melted feta on top, and salad. Delish. Tonight we plan to go to one of my favorite places, The Pigs, which serves up some of the yummiest souvlaki I've ever tasted. I've also had plenty of my favorite Greek pastries--bougatsa, galaktabouriko--and some new ones that I don't remember the names.
And now for some pictures:

from the drive to Sounio:


Temple of Poseidon at Sounio (it was very windy, I look like I'm about to blow over):


Emily and Nick at Sounio:


Still blowing away:


seaside lunch:


Greeks put lemon on everything!:


The little guy climbing on his uncle:


More pics later! Must go bask in Greek sunshine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay! glad you are having a good time. save some energy for this wild weekend ahead!!!