Friday, March 30, 2007

Happy Friday!

My plans for this weekend are uber exciting. Basically, I am becoming a hermit until Monday April 9th at 1:00 pm. It's the only way my voice, body, and mind are going to make it through the next ten days. Not only is next week Holy Week (to quote the one and only reluctant receptionist, "By the end of holy week, singers with church jobs are ready to get up on the cross themselves), but I've somehow got to learn, polish, and memorize 75% of my recital music, plus finish learning, rehearse and perform (premier!) this completely crazy contemporary opera. After learning and performing George Crumb's Apparation last year, I thought I could do just about anything, but this is challenging me in new and unheard of ways. At one point in a rehearsal this week, I told the composer that I refused to make the noise he desired me to make. So yeah... But come check it out if you like that sort of thing (weird electronic music, people making crazy sounds, etc.) Info here .
Tonight's activities will include doing my laundry and my taxes. Super fun, no? There may or may not be Chinese food, Ben and Jerry's, and a hot bubble bath as well. When I decide to stay in and be girly/productive, I do it up right. And when I decide to be a hermit, I REALLY become a hermit. I've spent entire weekends in complete silence, which most people, even my singer friends, find ridiculous, but sometimes it is necessary.
The FANTASTIC news of today is that I accepted a role with Light Opera Works for their production of the operetta Bitter Sweet this August! It's a small role, but they also asked me to understudy the lead! I'm thrilled that one of my auditions paid off, plus I will get to be in a show this summer and meet new people and most importantly, GET PAID! Not alot, but it's a start. Another bit of semi-good news: In order to accept the role, I had to make a call to a company that I was still waiting to hear from, Opera North, just in case by some act of God they were going to give me a contract. I spoke with one of their admins, and she said that since I hadn't received a rejection, it means the artistic director liked my audition and I am on a "waiting list"--meaning I won't most likely get a contract but they were considering me!! So it's a step up from last year when they flat out rejected me. I'm waiting to hear from Indianapolis Opera as well...cross your fingers!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! Congrats on Light Opera Works! Where is it??

midwest princess said...

it's right here in Evanston! so i don't have to go anywhere!