Sunday, March 04, 2007

update

I know it's been awhile since my last post, so let me bring you up to date:

*Last weekend I competed in the annual Bel Canto Foundation Italian opera contest at Monastero's restuarant. I was very happy to get past the inital round of competition, since only 16 out of 72 people were chosen for the preliminary round. I didn't advance to the semi-finals, but I received a lovely check for $250 as my prize for making it to the preliminaries, which now holds the record for the most money I've ever been awarded for singing. I hope to increase that in the near future with some other contests I'm doing.

*I got a callback for a role with Light Opera Works! It's coming up this week and I have to prepare a couple of songs for it.

*Winter quarter ends next Friday, so school has been rather intense lately. I had a little panic attack on Friday thinking about my upcoming Master's recital, for which the recital permission is two weeks after we come back from Spring Break. ACH! The recital will be May 5th at 6:15 pm, but more on that as the time approaches. Right now I have to concentrate on learning the music and finding an oboeist.

*Last week I went to see Dialogues of the Carmelites at Lyric. It was an amazing production, and afterward I got to go backstage and say hello to Anna Christy, whom I met two years ago when I was an actress in a production there. And I saw Susan Graham, who wasn't even in the opera, just hanging out backstage! I was starstruck! Seeing the production made me more excited about the upcoming NU production of Dialogues in which I will be playing one of the nuns. It's a powerful opera and beautiful music, and I'm excited to to start learning it.

*And finally (and most exciting), I booked my flight and am headed back to Greece for ten days over Spring Break! I got a great deal on a ticket, and I am really looking forward to a relaxing ten days with my boyfriend (with some memorizing of recital music squeezed in). Our hope is that Nick will come back for good with me on the 22nd, so I am praying that it works out. I'm ready for the trans-atlantic relationship to come to an end so I can have my boyfriend back on the same continent as I am!

So, that's about it. Nothing too crazy, just lots of singing and trying to stay sane. Good thing there's booze and pills.



Only kidding. Ok, half kidding.

1 comment:

Robert said...

i should've known you'd know where to find the booze AND the boys