Thursday, August 24, 2006

Caution: May Require Xanax

As I mentioned in a previous post, I started reading Fast Food Nation this week. I realize I'm about 4.4 years behind everyone else in reading this book, but I also recently saw Morgan Spurlock's documentary Super Size Me, which was really quite disturbing and increased my interest in the topic.
Yesterday, while on some particularly long train rides (CTA is really, really losing points with me this summer), I had the opportunity to really get into the book. The more I read, the more the rage began to grow inside of me, until I really considered pulling my bottle of Xanax out of my bag and popping one or two. Since it was only 6:30pm, and I didn't want to fall into a deep sleep on the train and have my iPod stolen from my person, I thought better of it.

I realize that much of what this book contains, namely how large corporations have shaped the way Americans live their lives, is what many people think makes America "great." Our efficiency, our economy, our technological advancements, our pursual of higher, better, richer, happier. The author, Eric Schlosser, is quoted as saying "By looking at fast food I'm trying to explain, among other things, how communities throughout the United States have lost a lot of their character and individuality." This makes me really sad.

Ever since I studied abroad in Vienna four years ago, my views of American life have changed drastically. Studying abroad isn't for everyone: some people don't take well to being separated from the lifestyle they have known since birth. For me, it was the most brilliant, eye-opening, self-affirming experience of my entire life. I adapted immediately to the European way of life, and although there were times when I yearned for home, I truly thought: "these people live better lives than we do." They are healthier, more relaxed, more committed to family life, more aware of their history and culture, more grounded and level-headed. I loved every moment of my time there, and when those four months were up and it was time to go home, I was very sad. When I returned to the States, I was so critical of American life that my family grew extremely irritated. After graduation, I knew I needed to get myself to a big city where I could escape urban sprawl. So I came to Chicago and continued to irritate my family on return visits with a refusal to eat at chain restaurants and an affinity for organic food.

I'm getting off-track here, but the point is: I'm thinking that reading this book could be dangerous to my mental health that I've worked so hard to repare this summer. I already knew in my heart what was wrong with America; having it backed up with mind-boggling facts is making me crazy. The latest chapter I read was about the prevalence of violence in the fast food industry: my sister was held at gunpoint several years ago at the local Dairy Queen where we both worked. It turned out alright, but situations like that have NOT turned out alright for so many people. My question is: when will the madness stop? When we elect a new President? When Americans get so fat that they all just blow up into tiny fragments of french fries? When the industry somehow makes it ok and possible for five-year-olds to flip burgers? Hang on, I think I need a Xanax...ok, that's better.
If that wasn't bad enough, last night Nick and I were watching Morgan Spurlock's show 30 Days on Fx, where people test an "alternative lifestyle" for 30 days. The woman on this particular show was a Pro-Choice activist who worked in an abortion clinic and had to spend a month in a pro-life home for un-wed mothers and expectant mothers run by a Christian minister and his wife. Listening to these pro-life people talk about their views and harrass people outside abortion clinics...let's just say more Xanax necessary.

I don't usually get so riled up about things like this. I'm pretty laissez-faire about politics, but I think that as I near twenty-five (the "now you have to be a responsible adult" age), I'm starting be less selfish and care more about what's going on around me. Yes, I want to live well, but not at the expense of making life miserable or dangerous for anybody else. It's a good think I'm not still temping at the National Restaurant Assocation. Let's just say I may have created a scene...
If you've actually read this post to the end, bless you. I guess I just needed to get that out. If I can persuade a few people to read this book, or to eat less fast food, I feel like I'll have done something to help the cause. Maybe I'll also write some strongly worded letter to a senator or something. Or just take some more Xanax.

No comments: