Tuesday, October 17, 2006

pups, age factor, opera, pups

I've been a busy, busy bee lately, which explains why my last two posts consisted of cute animal photos. Ok ,Ok, I'll admit, it's really because I've been going ga-ga for dogs lately. I don't know if it's my maternal instinct kicking in, but I've been yearning for a little furry canine to love and care for and spoil. I don't think my schedule (or my studio apartment or budget) is ready for a dog yet, but perhaps this summer....also must convince Nick, but I think I'm wearing him down.

Soooo, the weekend was super busy and I really haven't had much time to relax since Friday. With my cold in full effect, I drugged up on Saturday (Sudafed + Mucinex = singer's miracule cure for excess phlegm) and sang well for the Bel Canto contest. They asked for a second aria, which was a good sign, but I don't think I advanced, since most of the people competing seemed to be quite a lot older. Age is such a funny thing in the classical singing world. At my age, it seems that I'm consistently getting beaten out by people two and three years older than I am, yet if you get too old (the age seems to be 30 these days) without having a break through in your career, people consider you washed up. I guess it's a little scary, since it seems that my lucrative years are quickly approaching, and I need to be up to par. Nevertheless, the contest was a nice confidence-booster, and I felt great afterward.

Saturday evening we had tickets to the opera, Gluck's Iphegenie en Tauride starring Susan Graham. I absolutely love going to the opera. The Lyric Opera house is so amazing and beautiful, and it always feels like such a special, grand event when I get to experience an opera there (and $20 student tickets make it possible!). We had a lovely dinner beforehand at 312 Chicago and then ran into many of my classmates at the opera house. The opera itself was interesting...I had seen Gluck's Orfeo in March, whose stage director was also directing this production, so I knew what to expect. The set, staging, and costumes were very dark and minimalist, with the main characters and dancers in all black and the set without color. The singing was brilliant, of course, but the plot bored me a bit. I have to say that Gluck's Orfeo is a much better opera than this one. Regardless, it was a great time, and afterward we went out with a bunch of my classmates to Frontera Grill (quite possibly one of the best restaurants in Chicago) for drinks and desserts.

Sunday was another singy singy day, since I had committed to doing a Bach duet at my church job. I was freaking out, per usual when I have to sing something difficult, but it went really well. I think the congregation was uber bored though, especially when we repeated the A section. How in the world do you prevent people from yawning when you sing Bach?! It doesn't matter how beautifully you sing it, I still see the eyes glaze over. Hmph. After church I had brunch avec ma cousine Megan, who goes to school in San Antonio. She's a dear. It made me miss my family, whom I don't get to see nearly often enough.

As usual, it's always rough to return to the grind after a fun weekend. So I think I'll go look at some pictures of puppies to cheer me up. Check out cuteoverload.com!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

would you like one of my puppies?

p.s. why was megan in chicago?

midwest princess said...

she was visiting her friend kelly who goes to depaul

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that the contest went well :) That's great news!

Friday: Ryan and I are going to see "The Prestige" (hopefully - if it's playing anywhere) and going out to dinner. Would you and Nick be interested in coming along? Like 7ish for dinner and movie afterwards? Let me know. Love!