Monday, October 30, 2006

mental health day

After a bit of a crazy weekend, I declared today a mental health holiday for myself. There wasn't much going on for me school-wise, so I decided it was a good day to focus on me and my well-being. I did a hard run on the treadmill, which felt great (God bless my building management for putting those treadmills in the laundry room). I am (perhaps psychotically) thinking of training for the marathon next year. I've always enjoyed running, especially the endorphins, which was the goal of my run for today -- to achieve that euphoric, post-workout state that feels so damn good. Sooo, I'm trying to get my weekly mileage up and keep it steady, which can be difficult, because I am easily distracted from my workouts. I know that I will hear some protests from various members of my family, most notably my grandmother, who once told me that running too much would mess up my "lady parts". But I think I'd really enjoy training and the sense of accomplishment that comes along with achieving such a lofty goal. At this point it seems likelier that I could run a marathon than get into a young artist program...so maybe I'm projecting my need to achieve one of my goals onto running. Psycho babble!!!
Anyways, I'm getting off track. After my run, I made an appointment for a manicure and pedicure at my MOST favorite salon in the whole city of Chicago, T.G. Nails on Southport. It's reasonably priced, and they give you the most amazing massage along with the mani/pedi. So after making some lunch, I drove up to my old 'hood to get my nails done. I think I'll always have a soft spot for 3251 N. Southport, since it was my first apartment and reminds me of a very special time in my life. The neighborhood is so quaint and gorgeous in the fall. After my relaxing pampering session, I headed back up north for a session with my therapist. Those who know me well know that I talk about my therapist a lot. Truth is, she's been a big part of my life for the past 9 months, and she's helped me make some really positive changes. I no longer believe that only crazy people have shrinks. I feel really lucky that I found someone who understands me and who has been able to help me with some important self-discovery.
So, it was a good day for me. Everyone should declare mental health holiday every once in awhile!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do that every week. Glass of wine. Mud mask. Bath with candles. Cuddle with puppies and fiancee.

Done!

Anonymous said...

Mental health days are the greatest! I'm so glad you took one. :)

I'm sure you're busy, but Stasi, Lauren and I are meeting for dinner at my apartment (2635 N Spaulding Ave Apt 3E) tomorrow night at 7PM. If you can make it that'd be great. I'd love to see you!