Wednesday, February 13, 2008

rambly

Turns out, being a singer and voice teacher doesn't work too well when you don't have a voice! So I am a bum, out-of-work, singer/voice teacher this week. I wish I could say I was enjoying it, but I've pretty much been panicking non-stop since Monday night. I did accomplish one thing today: I drove to Kenosha to meet with my new accountant. He came highly recommended from another musician colleague, and I think it's going to be very worth the long drive. He hardly charges anything ($200!) and he said I was going to get about an $1100 return! That makes me very happy. Plus, he is teaching me about all the musician deduction thingies and how to organize my finances. Good things.

On the way home from Kenosha, I did a very Emily thing and tried to make a U turn on a deserted country road and got stuck in a snow drift. I was not sure where I was or how I was going to get out of the predicament (what did people DO before cell phones, seriously?), when God himself showed up in a giant white truck with a shovel on the front and a tow. For one moment, I guess God decided that he'd given me a little more than I could handle for the day and sent a messenger via man in giant white truck. So I was saved from my little mishap in a matter of minutes. I am now safely back in my apartment. Thank you, man in giant white truck.

Having no voice has left me lots of time for surfing the net, television watching, and reading my new book: The Other Boleyn Girl. It is a really fantastic book that I've just learned has been made into a movie starring Scarlett Johanssen and Natalie Portman! It's a very trashy book filled with sex, but in a sixteenth century way and mixed with historical facts, so it feels like you are being very intellectual as you read it. And now I'm watching Ina Garten -- if only I could just own a cheese shop in the Hamptons. Or maybe in France. I've been fantasizing about non-singing careers lately. And careers where you work normal daytime hours. And careers where you get paid to cook and travel.

February is the pits. And I'm being totally rambly. I think I'll go read about some sixteenth century sex now. And hope that my voice comes back really soon. I'm nothing without it, really.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I just can't stand Ina. I think it's the denim shirts with popped collars and the bob. And how she always says use "good" vanilla. Who would use bad??