Monday, February 25, 2008

weekend

It was a lovely weekend, and now it's dreary Monday with a winter storm warning on the horizon. Sigh. We just can't win the battle against winter, can we? Of course, the storm is predicted to hit just as I need to make my 45 mile commute to my teaching job in the suburbs. My poor car is starting to see the effects of this miserable winter -- on Saturday I had to have my two front tires replaced. I had been driving around on a flat tire for who knows how long. Thank goodness for boyfriends who pay attention to these things, else I would probably have ended up stranded on the side I-90 somewhere, or worse.

Back to the lovely weekend. Friday night we headed to a dental convention party -- yes I said, dental convention party -- at Excalibur nightclub downtown. Nick spent Thursday and Friday at the McCormick Center at the annual dental convention and was subsequently invited to the after-party hosted by one of the dental supply companies. Two of his bosses were there and several people from one of the offices where he works. It was quite the party -- three floors, dancing, plenty o'booze, and plenty of dentists getting down and dirty (and drunk). Quite hilarious. We stayed for a couple of drinks, then went for some Thai food with his bosses. We stayed out much later than we are used to these days, so we basically collapsed into bed and slept late. Well, I did -- Nick is an early riser no matter what time he goes to bed.

Most of Saturday was taken up by the aforementioned tire replacement, but we were able to go have a meal at a greasy spoon around the corner while we waited for the car to be finished. We took the car to Sears auto, so after brunch we wandered around Sears and looked at appliances. Yes, I am officially old, I salivate over front loading washers and dryers and stainless steel refrigerators and oven ranges. Saturday was actually quite a lovely, sunny day and a balmy 40 degrees, so after the car was finished we continued wandering around our neighborhood and checking out some of the local home furnishing/antique stores. Again, I am old. Saturday night we had a delicious meal with our friends Ryan and Julia at a fairly new Indian place called Marigold that had gotten really good reviews. Ryan and Julia are our foodie friends, so we always have a lot to talk about with them -- newest restaurants tried, recipes, etc. Marigold was fantastic -- fun and innovative Indian inspired cocktails and delish favorite Indian dishes with a twist.

Sunday was extra long church, since I had to stay for a rehearsal for the Bach cantata we're doing in a couple of weeks: Christ lay in death's dark prison. Gotta love cheery Lenten music! After church we did our grocery shopping and I made a beef roast for dinner with a tomato Madeira confit. If blogger weren't being such a little bitch right now I would totes post some pics and the recipe, but I'm sick of dealing with it. I'll try to post it tomorrow. Now I must be off! Have a good week everybody!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

boyfriends?

midwest princess said...

nick, i know that's you. very funny.