Thursday, June 26, 2008

ENT, wedding crap, vacay

Today I have the unpleasant chore of visiting my ENT. Unfortunately, it's a necessary thing for singers to get their cords checked out every year or so, just to make sure everything is a-ok. I had a fantastic voice lesson yesterday and sang a high E flat (basically the tip top of my range), so I'm not too concerned about it. But considering most of my past visits to my ENT's office were rather traumatizing, I am understandably a little anxious (ok, a lot anxious) about the visit. Also, it's not terribly pleasant to have the little camera stuck through your nose and down your throat. I'm trying to focus on the sense of relief I will feel when it's over (similar to the gyno, ladies) and I head home knowing I won't have to return for at least another year. And Nick is going with me, so that makes it better.

In wedding planning news, we have finally settled on Chicago for our wedding city. Now comes the task of finding a reception site and coordinating with the church. Everyone tells me once those two things are nailed down, it gets a lot easier, but I'm feeling uber overwhelmed right now. We have two appointments on Saturday to look at a couple of different places, and then a couple more appointments when I get back from "vacation." I'm having some really good feelings about one of the places we are seeing on Saturday, as I spent a half an hour on the phone with their on-site wedding coordinator yesterday. I want to get as much done this summer as I can, because once fall hits and my schedule gets insane again, I know I will have no time or desire to add wedding planning to my schedule.

Speaking of my "vacation", it's almost here, and I can hardly contain my excitement! Who would have thought a trip to Fort Wayne, Indiana could elicit such glee! I guess I'm just excited to spend six days relaxing with no responsibility whatsoever (except bridesmaid stuff, but that's fun). I don't have to do laundry or keep the house tidy or cook anything, and I'm not going to practice or think (worry) about my career or teach any lessons -- in other words, I'm going to do NOTHING but relax and spend time with family and friends. It's not often that I allow myself these sorts of mental and physical vacations from singing and life, but the opportunity has presented itself, and I'm taking it! Plus my friend Stasi's wedding is going to be extremely fun. I'm slightly nervous about how I'm going to hold it together to sing her down the aisle (I'm singing Ave Maria as she comes down the aisle). I have a tendency to bawl when the bride comes in with her father...I cried yesterday watching the Today Show throws a wedding when a perfect stranger came down the aisle on television! I think if I just visualize the situation a few times while practicing the piece, that should do the trick. If I can make myself lose it while practicing, it won't happen in the real situation. (Stas, I know you're probably reading this and freaking out right now, but don't worry -- I got through the Lord's Prayer at my sister's wedding, so I know I can do it!) It's Stas's mom we really have to worry about -- Stas is an only child and her mother is a bit emotional...

Alright, time to go take some deep breaths before the doc visit. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Sorry, no words of encouragement. I HATE the ENT and dread going there every time. For me, it's the ear part, but the thought of having something stuck up my nose and down my throat makes me physically ill, so I feel for you.

Good luck!!

And can't wait to see ya!

Sensitiva McFeelingsly said...

I'm so glad you guys settled on a place for the wedding! Chicago is a great place to get married, so I'm sure you guys are going to be really happy with your decision (although Ryan and I had already started talking about how we were going to get our butts to Greece :)

I can't wait to see you next week! I can't believe Stasi's wedding is already here... I guess I'd better finish up that ole MOH toast, eh?

Yikes. ;)