Thursday, June 05, 2008

greetings from the unemployed

It's amazing what gets done around here when mama's not working! Not only is the house spic and span, laundry done, healthy meals cooked, receipts for taxes filed and put away (the pile had grown enormous), dry cleaning dropped off and picked up, bridal shower and wedding gifts bought, hardworkouts accomplished, but yesterday I had time to make this beaut:



Our pile of computer print-out recipes and copies of Nick's mother's recipes had grown out of control as well, so I organized them all in this lovely little binder with plastic sheet protecters and made this beautiful cover. I'm so Martha. Next project: staining or painting my old dresser and buying house plants.

I've also had time to become very eco-friendly. For a few months now, I've been using this Sigg bottle instead of buying plastic bottles. As a singer, I drink a ton of water, and although I used to refill the plastic bottles numerous times before discarding, it's so nice to always have this one handy to fill up at a sink or drinking fountain wherever I may be.


It has saved me quite a bit of money in plastic bottles and reduced my carbon footprint at the same time! Win-win! This week, I was shopping at Target with the giftcard my cousin gave me for singing in her wedding, and I came across this:


An adorable, made-from-organic-materials bag that is perfect for greener grocery shopping! I've been contemplating cloth grocery bags for some time now, and this was my answer.


Now, it doesn't hold a ton so I may need to pick up another one at some point, but it's perfect for those midweek shorter grocery trips where you just need to pick up a few things. I figure whatever I can do to keep those annoying plastic bags out of my home, the better! (Although a few are useful as bathroom trashbags).

So that is what I've been up to these days. I'm hoping for a little work from my temp agency at some point -- so I don't go completely bonkers -- but I've been keeping myself busy. And tomorrow Nick and I will be attending (and I will be singing at) this event (for free, mind you, one of the best perks of being a singer) which we are really excited about. Nick had to rent a tux -- his first time wearing a tux!-- and I am trying to decide on a gown. Thankfully I've got a closetful, one of the other perks of being a singer. I'll hopefully have some good pics of us in our fancy digs at the Four Seasons, hobnobbing with the rich folks who keep our arts organizations in business! Bless you people!

No comments: