Wednesday, June 11, 2008

good things

I've learned this week that even when I'm not working a lot I can still find plenty to do. My latest job descriptions include: Nick's personal assistant (the pay is great, let me tell you); bugging the temp agency incessantly to find me some work, and as always, diva of my living room (singing arias to the walls and possibly the annoyed neighbors). Seriously though, I've been making a lot of progress with practicing and learning new stuff for audition season AND I had the most fantastic lesson yesterday. Terry B. is the greatest -- I'm so lucky to have such a fantastic and supportive teacher.

I am still teaching lessons here and there, and I'm teaching a class at the school in Plainfield on Monday nights in addition to my private students there. It's a middle school vocal techniques class, and I have to say, middle school girls can be a little scary. Monday was the first class, and the four girls in the class are very nice, if a bit giggly. So I've got to come up with some lesson plans for the next classes. I'm going to be teaching the class again in the fall, in addition to an elementary class and a class with five to eight year olds. Eegads! So this will good practice for that, I guess.

Thankfully, I'm starting to relax a bit and enjoy this down time. Meeting up with friends I haven't seen in ages, singing what I want to be singing (which is usually very different than what I get paid to sing) even if it is just in my living room and teacher's studio, working out (although not as much as I should - I have no excuse now!), and the best thing - spending evenings with Nick and cooking dinner for him, something I've hardly gotten to do at all this year. It's wonderful to be present in the lives of my friends and loved ones for a change. I'm planning to spend a week in Ft. Wayne at my parents' house before my friend Stasi's wedding on Fourth of July -- I'm already dreaming about spending a day at the country club pool with my sister, barbequeing, catching up with my mom and dad, relaxing in the peace and quiet. Then Nick and I are planning a trip to Indianapolis for a long weekend to visit my grandmother. I want to make a side trip to Greencastle and show Nick the DePauw campus. I haven't set foot there since I graduated, and I'm dying to see the brand new music building and eat a garlic cheeseburger at Marvin's, of course.

Good things. I heart summer.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

mmmm Marv's!

I'm excited for you to come here! What day are you coming?

Olivia said...

yay for classical singers in chicago!