Thursday, July 05, 2007

apartment, fireworks, movie review

I can't say it was a relaxing day and a half off, but I can say that our apartment is *almost* box-free and things are for the most part in their proper place. And I have several cuts, bruises, a burn, and a swollen toe to show for it! Our trip to Ikea proved extremely fruitful, and we now have a beautiful baby Groland in our kitchen:

We decided to go with the cheaper island sans cabinet so that we could spend $129 bucks on other stuff we wanted, like cool glass shelves (not so cool when they fall off the wall onto your foot), a kitchen rug, and a few other things. The kitchen is looking really nice, as are the two bedrooms. Our couch will be delivered on the 14th, and then the living room will be complete. All that's left are some pesky boxes in the dining room and setting up the dining room table. I'll have some pics to post soon!
In more exciting, non-apartment related news, I had my first experience at Taste of Chicago and the city fireworks on Tuesday night. Wow...I'm not sure I've ever seen that many people in one place at one time. It was a veritable sea of humantiy. It was enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'll go back -- once is enough for me. We did have some delicious food -- prime rib quesadilla and mango rice pudding with dried cranberries, a BBQ rib sandwich, and funnel cake. Nick had never tasted a funnel cake before, so we just had to get it. And some beers of course. The fireworks were quite a spectacular display; I was impressed. All in all an enjoyable trip, I'm just not that sure I'm willing to work that hard in the future to get food, beverage, and a spot to see the firewroks.
Lastly, a brief movie review: I did indeed drag Nick to the Mandy Moore movie last night, and while Nick found it "better than he thought it was going to be", I thought it was pretty dull and dry. The chemistry between MM and John Kransinski was nonexistent. Whenever I watch The Office I feel a pang in my heart for poor Jim and the way he loves Pam and the looks he gives her -- for some reason his charm just didn't translate to the big screen. Or maybe it was Mandy. Her character was rather static and annoying, and the supporting characters were really ill-developed and boring. Robin Williams did not come through with his usual hilariousity; I'm not sure if it was him or the script. The only really funny moments were the cameos from castmembers of the Office, especially the guy who plays Kevin. Rather disappointing, but ah, well. They don't make 'em like they used to.
Long day today - office boredom followed by teaching three lessons after work. Momma's gotta make the cash.

No comments: