Wednesday, July 11, 2007

slow news day

Sorry for the non-posting day yesterday. I know you're all really psyched that I'm back to posting every day. so I hate to dissapoint. The truth is, yesterday I spent the better part of the day chatting to my sister on the phone and laying on the floor with my head on a computer bag I found, taking a nap...I mean, I spent the day working very hard, taking phone messages (3) and...well, that's about it. The two dudes are in Boston at a conference, and I'm here guarding the office - ?

Actually, my new task that is going to fill up these work days for the next eight weeks is learning two roles in the Light Opera Works show. We had our first rehearsal Monday night, and it seems like a really great, talented cast. I'm understudying this incredible woman in the lead role, and I can't even tell you how much I respect and look up to her and hope to learn a lot from her about making it in this career. She hasn't had a conventional opera career, but she's done some really interesting and amazing things, been very successful, and has a successful marriage and two-year old boy. Plus, we share the same undergrad alma mater and undergrad voice teacher! Suffice it to say, I want to be just like her.

On top of that I have to learn my ensemble part that I'll actually be performing in the show. The character actually has a name (Gloria), and some speaking and singing lines, so I'm really excited about that! We have to do British accents, and I think I've really been honing in on it (some of you will get that joke). It's going to be refreshing to do something light and in English for a change.

The only bad thing is that I get home at 11 pm from these rehearsals, after working a full day. I'm afraid this show could take it's toll on my personal life, but Nick is wonderful and understanding, and thankfully we get to have lunch together nearly every day, so that will make up for the fact that most nights I'll be crawling into bed when he's already asleep. But the rehearsals aren't absolutely every night (atleast not in the beginning), and we get weekends off until the run begins. So I think we'll manage.

In closing, it's a sad day for humanity. The word ginormous has been added to the dictionary. WHY? There are two perfectly good words, gigantic and enormous, that can be used to describe something extremely large. Huge, big, gargantuan, massive also come to mind. WHY? If I ever say "ginormous" you have my permission to slap me. And if I hear someone say it, this is a fair warning that you might get slapped.

Good day!

No comments: