Friday, July 13, 2007

lots of tags.

I haven't written anything yet today because:

a. I've been reading this blog. This guy is absolutely hilarious, think Jason Mulgrew but a bit cleaner, less bathroom humour and a little less alcoholism. I was an avid reader of his last blog, until he went through a bad break up and shut things down. Apparently, he's been back to blogging since last November -- which means I've had nine months of catching up to do today. I'm not sure how I feel about the new compared to the old...I still find myself laughing out loud, but maybe not as much as I did before.

b. I was lunching with fellow temps Suzanne and Mark. I hooked up all my summer job-less singer friends with the temp agency, and it's been working out splendidly for everyone involved -- they can pay their rents, and I collect $100 bucks after each of them works 100 hours. And since all my friends are competent, non-alcoholic people who can read and answer a telephone, it makes the temp agency look good, thereby making me look good. Win, win, win. (I've already collected $200 and am looking at another $300 coming to me very soon. For doing nothing. Win indeed).

c. I've also been mesmerized by the preppy housewife blogs. This one, this one, and this one come to mind. When I read these blogs about people whose biggest concerns seem to be redecorating the kitchen, whether or not to go to the country club pool, or that their child doesn't want to wear pink and green, I am a mixture of incredulity and jealousy. How delightful to while away the days going to the gym, shopping, and making crafts! Then I read more and realize that at the heart of it lies serious shopping addictions, horrid ungrateful step-children, feelings of low self-worth, and keeping up with the Joneses, and I realize that with all the lovely suburban homes and gym memberships and perfect children comes a new slew of problems and unhappiness that my twenty-five year old self can't even fathom. While having kids and moving to the suburbs may sound like a wonderful break from trying to become an opera singer, I don't think it's the solution I'm looking for at the moment. I'm not sure where in the American suburbs you can move and not find people like this...it's disheartening, but then again, there's always Europa.

I can't tell you how excited I am that the weekend is upon us. I didn't want to get out of bed something fierce today and have been dreaming all day about staying under my duvet until ten am tomorrow. Also, our new couch (!!!!!) is coming tomorrow, so we're having a li'l gathering Saturday evening to celebrate (and we finally have enough seating to respectably host guests). I don't have to work, sing, or be anywhere for the entire weekend and after a week of 10 hour + days, that thought is so enticing I could weep. And I have, just a little.

Happy Weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's with the monograms? And the woman who always tells what she's going to wear, with pictures?

Anonymous said...

ok, i must admit that i too am now obsessed with these blogs. i read the entire archives of More, More, More today. I even looked at the sites of some of the places she shops. HELP. If I get a monogrammed hat, you'll know I've gone to the bad place.

I need a job!!!