Thursday, July 19, 2007

near death experiences and sap


Aside from tedious expense reports and exhaustion, I am glad to be alive today. No, seriously. I drove home from Palatine last night in one of the worst thunderstorms I've seen in years. At one point, I pulled over to the side of I-90 and put on my flashers in hopes that I could wait out the worst of it, but quickly realized that this was probably a better way to get killed than actually driving. These Illinois idiot drivers were speeding along like nothing was happening, as though sheets of rain were not pouring from the sky and lightening hadn't just struck less than fifty feet away (I'm serious - a deafening clap of thunder and bolt of lightening at the same time that caused me to jerk so violently that I nearly lost control of my vehicle.) As I sat by the side of road with my flashers on, cars careening past me, I started to panic. "These cars are going so fast, one of them is going to hydroplane and strike my vehicle"! Shit, what did that driver's test say you were supposed to do when you hydroplane? Turn into the skid? Tap the brakes> Shit. Finally, I merged back into traffic and crept my way toward home. As I drove down Clark Street, all of the street lamps suddenly lost power. It was then that I drove into the nearest McDonald's drive-thru and got some burgers and fries for myself and Nick. I needed comfort, and there's nothing like scientifically engineered flavors and fried foods to remind you of being eight years old and happy.

So today I'm counting myself lucky that I didn't die and am trying to embrace life (sort of). It's almost the weekend, I had a great voice lesson yesterday, and I got some good news about a gig that (cross my fingers!) I will find out for sure about on August 1st. I don't want to say anything now to jinx it. And although I'm exhausted from this ridiculous schedule I've been keeping, my head isn't pounding like it was yesterday. And sometimes sitting at a computer doing people's expense reports is a lot better than listening to eight-year olds bang on a piano and trying to get them to play correct rhythms (which is what I was doing yesterday). What I'm trying to say is: life is good, and lately I've been taking that fact for granted. I'm healthy and happy and I have a great boyfriend and a good apartment and lots of gigs lined up. Maybe I'm not financially secure, but I'll work on it, and I'll try to buy less shoes and less lattes (even if the shoes are on sale). I will not be the asshole who rushes around like the world is ending tomorrow (97% of Chicagoans). I will be kind. I will try not to worry so much about things I can't control. I will enjoy myself.

And that is my mantra for today.

And this picture just makes me giggle.

Sherrill Milnes circa 197?

No comments: